Since we last chatted, my Forge class went to Israel. Going into the trip I had no idea what to expect and honestly, I didn't really know if I would enjoy it! I'm such a homebody sometimes and the idea of hiking all day didn't really thrill my heart, as much I was really looking forward to learning and studying in the Holy Land. My eyes were quickly opened to the reality of what a treasure this trip was and I really can't wait to go back one day. I swear, the Forge has turned me into a different person when it comes to the athletic and the outdoorsy things. Bring it on. I would've had it no other way than to walk through the land that God created for his people. ~sigh~ I would do anything to be sitting on top of Mt. Arbel right now.
| Mt. Arbel. My favorite place from the trip. Its likely the 'desolate place' that Jesus would go to pray. Thats the Sea of Galilee on the right! |
Stories and lessons from the trip could go on and on... but I'll pick one that is sticking with me every single day.
After a few days in Galilee we traveled to Gamla. There we got to hike down to one of the oldest synagogues in the region, where is likely that Jesus taught. Throughout the trip Matt reminded us that we're not going for "square inch, square meter," trying to pinpoint the exact locations that Jesus stood. Rather, we were there to get a visual picture, to understand the culture of the region and see the places that scripture talks of and through. However, this location was different. Scripture says that Jesus traveled throughout all Galilee, preaching in their synagogues. We stood there, overwhelmed by the reality that Jesus stood in that very place. The synagogue hasn't been rebuilt, restored or altered in anyway... the stones are the same ones that stood centuries ago. I was blown away by the powerful presence we felt there. There was a silence, a stillness and reverence for the holiness of such a place. God was there. So many times, we try to create an environment that invites the presence of God. We try to use the perfect blend of lights, worship music and atmosphere to feel like God's presence is there. In that place, there were no lights, no music, nothing adding to the atmosphere, but the power of what had happened there was enough. I found myself not really wanting to leave.
And then it dawned on me. I never leave the presence of God. If I truly believe that God is "God with us," my God never leaves me. That powerful presence dwells with me, always. I don't have to hope for another emotional experience, I have a God who is with me always.
Later in the trip, we visited the Western Wall where practicing Jews come to pray. The Western Wall is the closest Jewish people can get to the old holy of holies since they are not allowed on the Temple Mount. The picture there is unbelievable. Dozens of people, press forward into a wall crying out to be heard. Its heartbreaking. There is something just powerful about the fact that is a WALL. Huge, unshakeable, and immovable. Praying alongside those women, pressed near to what they view as holy, I felt so bound. Unable to move forward, only able to pressing into something that won't press back. It was a desperate feeling. We stayed there awhile, just soaking in the scene and my heart broke for the women around me. What could they be crying out for? Really, as women we all long for the same things... security, feeling delighted in, wanting to be declared as loved... but these women experience those longings in such a different way than I do. And they have to seek hope by pressing into a wall. As we backed away I felt such a release, such freedom knowing that my God is a God who dwells with me. His power is not contained in walls, synagogues, or even church buildings. My God walks alongside me, guiding my ways, and calling be beloved.
Praise God for privilege of being called by His name. 1 Peter 4:16
I'm his child because he chose me. Its nothing I do and nothing I've done to deserve that kind of grace. and I pray that our Jewish brothers and sisters may come to know that kind of freedom too.

No comments:
Post a Comment