Saturday, March 6, 2010

breaking spring

this whole week has been a glorious lead up to SPRING BREAK.
I really wasn't ready for this break at all since we only have a few precious weeks left at Baylor, but by Friday it was time.

-Monday was Alyssa's birthday. We went out to dinner at Cheddar's and I got TWO honey butter croissants with my veggie plate. SCORE. I was way more excited than a person should normally be about a croissant. Veggie plate= sweetest deal ever. so much food... 6 bucks. yes.
-Upon returning to our dear dear 229, we were greeted with lovely presents at our doorstep from our neighbor's pets. Its been happening for a while and enough was enough.... so we decided to take action. So every resident in our section of the apartment building got a little note from "management" notifying them of a situation that must be rectified immediately. Okay, so maybe we shouldn't have signed it management but we were caught up in the moment. Operation POOP was underway. It probably took a grand total of 45.3 seconds to put notes on everyone's doors because we were so hyped up about someone seeing us. Mission complete, and we move on with our evening.
-Tuesday. Haley gets back from Dallas and finds a note underneath our doormat that reads "dear 'management' we know it was you. what a bunch of morons. lay off. signed, residents"
abbey and alyssa were embarassed. I didn't feel bad at all. Rach was scared. Haley wasn't even here so she didn't feel bad... The whole remainder of the week we avoided eye contact with everyone in the apartment and tried to figure out who it was....
-Wednesday. TAKS writing today, so student teachers aren't allowed to be at the school. Instead, we went to a job fair. WHOOOOA. overwhelming. seriously. Its really strange to be talking to all these people who really don't do the hiring for their district, they just recruit. And with me being in this in-between place of not being sure where I'm going to be in the fall, I just have to keep making connections and keeping doors open until I know. Bizarre two hours of trying to ask good questions and talk about why I'm so very interested in working in these obscure districts I've never heard of. However, it was a great experience I now I know a lot more about what is important to me when screening through different districts. We'll see. The rest of the day I watched LOST and then went to Baylor to soak up the great weather and read. Lacey Murphy joined me and we got our picture taken for the Baylor newspaper while talked.... so random.
-Thursday. Back to school. Longest day EVER. I'm totally caught up on my planning, my research study and my benchmarks, so I have nothing to do. My kids did a practice TAKS test all day, so I couldn't tutor any of them... so I sat and read the newspaper. and Yahoo news. and research on writing techniques. yawwwwn. I was so ready to leave that day. I don't do well with a lack of "to-do list." I get back to my apartment and on our communal white board for little notices and thoughts is written, "no need to fear, the upset residents live here! We love the management! -love haley and alyssa" ohyes. the threateningly mean note was fabricated by my roomies. I laughed so hard.... good one ladies. I'm just glad that no one is actually mad at us, so we don't have to avoid eye contact. well done friends... well done.
-Friday was FancyNancy day at school for all the kids with perfect attendance. PRECIOUS. Two of my little boys dressed up in suits, one in a full while John Travolta style suit. My girls were in pretty church dresses and crowns. oh capture my heart. Jackie even wore her first communion dress, which was basically a full-on ballgown, all day. I, however, did not go the fancy route, I went more Pine Cove theme night style and wore a pink explosion of sparkles and shiny fabric. All day I got "whoaaa Ms. Melinder... you look beautiful..... like a barbie.... " haha. okay then. I'll just look ridiculous every day and my kids will think I'm a barbie. I thought more Jenna Rink, a la Thirteen Going-On Thirty. We went to recess for the second time all year and I played jump rope with my girls. The other teachers looked at me like I was nuts, but hey... you can't take the camp counselor out of me. I wanna play.
-After school, Abbey and I threw our stuff into suitcases and made our way to Oklahoma. Hello SPRING BREAK. The normally 5 hour trip took 6 and a half.. thank you Waco, Norman and Braums. but I really didn't mind, Abbey and I entertained ourselves by rolling down the windows and screaming to our favs (you know... Beyonce, JoBros, Kelly Clarkson, Avril) just for maturity's sake.

so right now i'm chillin' in Edmond until Wednesday and then we head to Houston for Spring Break roomie swap. Half with her family, half with mine.

The other night I dreamed that Matt Murphy, Lacey Murphy and I were running through the Towers trying to get away from the Others. Lacey disappeared. bummer.
Avoid the Others. They do bad things... I still don't know what. But I'm sure they do. Mr. Eko says so.

No comments:

Post a Comment