its Sing time at Baylor. Which means that seeing a girl with extreme eyelashes walking down the street in high heels in a bathrobe, carrying a giant pick axe... is very normal. NBD. I was in Sing for three years, but because of the craziness of student teaching, no-go for this year. Its been a sad week, but all sadness vanished last night! SING 2010 might be my favorite one ever.... I guess not being in the competition makes it SO much more enjoyable. I really was blown away but how students can put together Broadway-quality shows over and over again. if only GLEE was aware of this insanity...
I know some crazed Sing girl is probably out there googling "baylor sing 2010" to get ANY responses about their act right now. i speak from sad sad experience. SO, not that you care (she sure does) here are my thoughts on SING 2010. I'm chillin' at the collins desk with nothing to do... don't judge me.
in alphabetical order:
Alpha Chi Omega:Weather - cute cute theme. the backdrop was really pretty, but honestly I don't remember anything too stand out about this act. solidly done, but I don't remember going "WOW" at any point. Skirt change.... ChiO 2009, anyone?
Alpha Delta Pi: Cards- clever clever clever!!!! I loved the plot behind this act. I'm a sucker for plots at Sing. The Jokers completely stole the show, but in a good way. I didn't like it as much as the crayons, that act just had everything going for it....
Alpha Tau Omega: Pirates- 1. They thanked Johnny Depp in the program. hilarious. 2. Boats rowing across stage??? SO COOL. These guys never fail to be so very entertaining. Not as sharp and precise as other groups, but entertainment value is worth SO many points... no doubt Pigskin. Although I LOVED the song choices (uh. hello. win me over with Beauty and the Beast EVERY TIME) they didn't really make sense with the show's big picture.
Chi Omega:Bubble Bath- such a creative theme, and SO well executed. Shaylee rocked "Rubber Ducky" This act had so many great visual elements that I was entertained the whole time. Vocals were outstanding and costumes were really well done. Props too, were really clever. Pigskin for sure.
Delta Delta Delta: Fish- as always, pearly perfection. These girls can pull off sing like no one else can. Its like an army of dancing sparkles. They found their formula and can keep on winning with it... step 1. be cute non-human objects in perfect really shiny costumes. step 2. open the show by singing in rows of perfect harmony. step 3. pick familiar songs that keep the audience entertained, but keep on building in energy. step 4. bad guy dance with something innovative (thank you evil barracuda eyes and girls who sat in the shell the WHOLE act. dedication) step 5. tri delt power triangle and tap-flap-step move to get the audience screaming at your finale. step 6. go home, take down your perfect side-bun with hair accessory and pat yourself on the back for placing at sing again. GO tri-delt, i love it. Pigskin for sure, probably placing.
Kappa Alpha Theta: Ring by Spring- inside I was dying this whole act. thank you Theta for admitting to the sad truth of Baylor senior year (100 engaged couples, my friends.... its the truth) I thought the song selection was outstanding, dancing tiffany boxes were SO cute. I liked the progression from freshman year to ring... it just happened little fast. Like... junior year. whoa. I wish we could've seen a "date" happen. Overall, a great comeback act for Theta, but still missing something to be pigskin worthy. Better giant ring than Kappa, for sure.
Kappa Chi Alpha: New York- best KXA act I've seen. These girls were having fun and thats great to see. I'm glad that they did Sing again this year. Kara as the dancing apple was the highlight for sure. REEEAAAALY good vocals. Get it BYX guy.
Kappa Kappa Gamma: Diamonds- yawn. same costumes. every. year. always sharp, but they just don't look like they are really having fun. However, Kappa is the master of perfect transitions... I just don't know how they do it. Its SO perfectly choreographed, no "just get off the stage as fast as you can and don't fall..." for Kappa. its prance to the background as you curtsy and skip away and another girl somehow appears in your spot. I don't remember a single song from this act, but it was perfectly sharp.
Kappa Sigma: oil field- I had to really think to remember this act. its tough being first. Really perfect choreography, but the whole thing seemed like ChiO from last year. Guy acts start to blend together when they all wear overalls, flannel and boots. yeehaw. the "climax" of striking oil was very anti-climactic. Another one of those powerhouse groups that has gotten a little boring.
Kappa Omega Tau: Toy Box- my favorite sing act I've ever seen. hands down. The costumes were PERFECT and so creative. The opening was surreal, backdrop perfect (way to go Kristen) and the characterizations were so clever. I loved each character's specialty dances, Raggedy Andys were my fav. I don't remember much about the vocals, but the entertainment value was off the charts. The cyclical beginning and ending was genius. Pigskin and placing, if not first.
Phi Gamma Delta: Truckers- meh. Nothing too spectacular to remember, honestly. Cool backdrop. Classic trucker hats. I was bored. lame lame lame specialty move plug in. They needed something extra in there for the audience to grasp to and remember.
Phi Kappa Chi: Mountain Men- ohhhhh vocals. hellooooo David Collins. as long as Phi Chi has him, they've got vocals over and over again. Great specialty dance and some really cool new guy dance moves. Praise Him by the fire.... gotta happen. Pigskin.
Pi Beta Phi: Sugar Rush- okay. last year these girls got RIPPED off. They should've been in Pigskin and I was so disappointed to not see them in the fall. This year their act was safe and really solid. Vocals were great. I felt like they followed the Tri-Delt formula.... you know, cute dress, bad guys defeated... yay for Hairspray power moments. I really hope they make Pigskin, the light up sprinkles are what really won me over.
Pi Kappa Phi- what did they do... think... I really can't remember. Great finale dancing. But I really can't remember their theme at all. OH ISLAND! didn't we do that my sophomore year?
Sigma Alpha Epsilon- ha.
Sigma Chi-funny. so funny.
Sing Alliance: Newspaper- No lie, I'm SO biased. I was in Sing Alliance for three years. This act was just... overwhelming! There was so much so see, so much to take in... I'm glad I'm going to see it again. The choreography was SO complex, if you know what to look for and whats really hard, trust me... these guys put in TIME. This makes it harder for them to look as sharp as a Tri-delt or Kappa, but the entertainment of it makes up the difference. Vocals were outstanding... but Sing Alliance shines with energy, you could feel the audience want to give a standing ovation. The backdropS (yes TWO) were the best of the night, not to mention hilarious to read. The finale was just so much to watch, I couldn't possibly take it all in. I'm so proud. bursting, really. Remember that time I embarrassed myself on the "Welcome to Sing" video by being the arrogant girl who goes, "who's gonna win? oh. us. duh." This year... its true. Pigskin. Placing. duh.
Zeta Tau Alpha: WWII army wives- SUCH a good concept. Really solid dancing and great costumes. I was loving it, until..... the dramatic sad part never got picked back up. A solider REALLY needed to come back from war. There was also a lot of standing and singing in lieu of dancing. I know that ZTA was going for a more dramatic point, but it needed to upswing at the end. We're in a war and a recession. we need happy endings right now.
Pigskin and Placing:
KOT- 1st
Sing Alliance- 2nd
Tri-Delt- 3rd
Chi-O
ATO
Pi-Phi
(Kappa, K-Sig, Phi-Chi will battle it out for the last spots)
love sing. hate sing. you have to admit... its one of the biggest things to do at Baylor. and I'm so glad that its been a part of my college experience.
I'm very happy you wrote this! I've been trying to find out everyone's Sing themes, and you saved the day! :) You made me want to find tickets and go!!
ReplyDelete