Right now I'm starting a new bible reading plan on faith. Its good to take a break from the rigor of the Horner plan we did in the Forge and get some time to dig into a few verses a day. Today I was looking at Genesis 22, when Abraham offers Isaac as a sacrifice but the Lord intervenes. Okay, this story is incredible and I've heard it so many times... and now with the Temple Mount as a backdrop in my mind, its even more powerful. This story feels so applicable right now, because its all about God's provision. Abraham straight up names the place "The Lord provides." You can't get much more explicit than that! Often I think about provision as a need being met. We've all heard stories of God providing finances at the last minute for friends in desperate need, or of those who were healed of a tragic illness and received the provision of renewed life.
What I've never known is... the word provision here in Genesis refers to sight... perception, or vision. Its an "eyes to see" thing rather than a meeting a need thing. God is our provider, yes, because He is a God who is all knowing, all powerful and all present. He knows and sees our every thought and action. God meets our needs, because he already sees them.
one of the definitions of provision is "to gaze." When I think of gazing I don't tend to think of anything stressful or striving. I think of days in a hammock, gazing at the leaves above me. I think of catching the glance of my dad as he proudly watches me. I think of standing at the ocean with no agenda... just watching waves roll in. I remember a night a few months ago with 23 strangers standing in a field, hungry, tired and cold, but standing in awe of the blanket of stars above us. When I think of gazing, it usually brings to mind things in nature. In Luke 12:27, Jesus reminds us to "Consider the lilies, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin..." When we gaze, we are looking upon the things that do not strive, they do not worry, they simply are what they were destined to be.
Every SINGLE day I find myself creating plans for myself. I have a master plan of how things should unfold and play out, and I pray for God to be my provider for the things I've determined that I need. In reality, He's already provided. My friend Jared likes to remind himself that "it is finished," when things get difficult. If I really believe that my God is a God who sees, I can declare that it IS finished. And in that I can rest.
Ra'ah- provision
to look at
to see
to gaze
to discern or distinguish
to cause to see
to learn about
to observe
to watch
No comments:
Post a Comment