Wednesday, May 4, 2011

what's next???

Okay, so I feel like I need to fill in some blanks for the friends who are seeing hints of things on facebook and would like the full story about where I'm headed since the Forge is done.

~drumroll~
I'm staying in Tyler!

A few weeks ago I was hired at Bethel Bible Church as their children's education director. I could not be more excited about this opportunity and the staff that I'm working with. This job is allowing me to blend my love for discipling children and my education experience into one happy dream job. Big picture, I'll be coordinating the curriculum used by our children's small groups each Sunday and working alongside those teachers to make sure they have all the tools they need to teach. I thought that all my years of detailed lesson planning for Baylor wouldn't ever come in handy... WRONG! Its what I'll do all the time now.

So, now that I have a job I'm working on where to live and what community to plug into here in Tyler... all that fun grown-up, adult life stuff. But I'm so glad to be sticking around Tyler, I really do like living here and the small-ish city (compared to Houston at least) has really grown on me. If you find yourself in Tyler for some reason, give me a call and we'll hang out. it'll be a blast.

I feel like I can't really move on into the next phase of life without properly remembering everything that has happened over the last eight months. This morning I read over the blog I wrote right before starting the Forge and I was completely blown away by how God massively answered the prayers I forgot I prayed.

I prayed for brokenness: ummmm. yep. You can't go through a forge without getting pounded on a little bit. Over this year I felt the pain of my sin more than I ever have... when you have 23 mirrors reflecting everything back to you, all your junk becomes so much bigger. Over this year I felt the brokenness of insecurity and unforgiveness. But most of all I saw the freedom that comes when we let those weights go.

I prayed for direction: Who are you and what are you doing here? I'm Lacey Melinder. A chosen woman of the only one who is holy. He calls be holy because HE is holy. My righteousness is dependent on him and I can do nothing to add to his grace. I am here to nurture and develop others to freedom and beauty through Christ alone.

I prayed for opportunity: I went into the Forge hoping that God would put opportunities in front of me to live out the gospel. Little did I know, that my understanding of the gospel would be completely rocked and I would fall completely in love with my Savior all over again. Out of that love I can't help but want to share what God has done. I have a story to share, and now I've been given the grace to speak with a passion that I've never really realized before.

I prayed for finances: PRAISE GOD. Time after time, he showed up in a powerful way when I needed it most. I never had to worry about finances because the Lord provided through people I didn't even know in ways that were unexpected. Biggest lesson learned: If God wants you there... he'll make a way. Also, that we should never be afraid to ask... our security is in Christ and he can use the people around us to be a blessing. When you need help, ASK. God provides.

Really digging through everything I learned from the Forge will take awhile and probably leak out in bits over time... much like Israel stuff... but its a year that I definitely won't just leave behind. Now the challenge will be how will I choose to remember? And really, isn't this our constant challenge as we face and conquer trials and victories throughout our life? As we traverse the hills and valleys of our experiences, its vital that we don't forget the deep things that God does through it all. For some remembering looks like keeping a journal, or making a video, or a scrapbook... or even painting something. I know for me, I have ring dish from Israel next to my sink that is a daily reminder to partner with God with all my heart, my soul and my might.

What do you do to remember?

1 comment:

  1. oh my oh my! that is such a dream, i'm so excited for you! you are perfect for that job. and although i'm sure you'd be perfect for the pioneer woman too ;) and i'm totally taking you up on that tyler hang out offer -- i'm sure i'll be driving through sometime and would love to see you! blessings friend!

    ReplyDelete